Add-on:The Movie Database Python
|The Movie Database Python|
|Add-ons||The Movie Database Python|
|Need help with this add-on? See here.|
themoviedb.org is a free and open movie database. It's completely user driven by people like you. TMDb is currently used by millions of people every month and with their powerful API, it is also used by many popular media centers like Kodi to retrieve Movie Metadata, Posters and Fanart to enrich the user's experience.
To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on manager from within Kodi by going to
- The home screen
- Information providers (v16 and higher)
- Movie information
- The Movie Database Python
The Movie Database Python is the latest scraper developed by Team Kodi. It is written in Python and has proven to be more stable and reliable than the Regex based scrapers currently in use.
The Movie Database Python scraper accesses the following sites to scrape your movies and populate your library:
- TheMovieDB - for metadata and some artwork
- fanart.tv - for artwork
- IMDB - for ratings
- Trakt.tv - for ratings
If the scraper is unable to find the correct movie, you can perform a search using either the IMDB or TMDB ID's. This may be a more convenient method than using a Parsing NFO file.
- To search by TMDB enter the prefix tmdb/ followed by the ID. eg tmdb/240832.
- To search by IMDB ID enter the ttxxxxxx ID directly without any prefix
Scraper settings can be adjusted in two locations, each location having a different result. When adjusting the settings be mindful of where:
- Scrapers are installed with default settings. Adjusting settings in this location sets the new default settings for your scraper. From this point on any source where you change to this scraper will use the new default settings. Existing sources are not changed
- If an existing source is already using this scraper, and you would like the new settings to take effect, change the source to use another scraper, save and answer no to updating the library. Then change the scraper back and the new default settings will be loaded.
- Changing settings at the source will affect that source only.
Note: Changing scraper settings does not change what is already in your library. Only items scraped after the setting changes will be affected.
- Keep Original Title
- Use the original (untranslated) title when downloading info for a foreign film.
- For example the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) is the English translated title of the movie. The Original Name of the movie is 卧虎藏龙. If you prefer the English translated title (or whichever language you have set in the scraper settings), then disable the setting. If you prefer the original Chinese title then enable the setting.
- Enable fanart from TMDb
- Enable this setting to download Fanart from TMDB. Will override the fanart.tv setting.
- Separate TMDb fanart with title to landscape
- Fanart is 16:9 artwork with no text. Landscape is fanart with text.
- With this setting enabled, fanart with text is scraped as a Landscape image type.
- Enable Trailer (YouTube)
- Scrapes the links for trailers from YouTube.
|If you have locally saved trailers, do not enable this setting. See... Trailers|
- Preferred Language
- Set which language metadata to scrape
- Preferred Certification Country
- Country/Nation preference for Content Advisory Ratings (MPAA)- eg M, MA, PG
- Certification Prefix
- To display the appropriate Content Advisory Rating flags in your skin, the rating must be prefixed. Check with the skin author what the prefix is for your chosen country.
- Default Rating from
- Choose which default rating to download. Choices are TMDB, IMDB and Trakt.
- Add also IMDB ratings
- Add IMDB in addition to the default rating
- Add also Trakt.tv ratings
- Add Trakt.tv in addition to the default rating
- Add multiple studios
- Scrape all movie studios associated with the movie.
|Enabling this setting will break the display of Studio Icons in your skin. Studio Icons can only be displayed for a single studio.|
- Add keywords as tags
- Scrape Keywords from TMDB and add them as Tags in Kodi
- Be aware that larger libraries may be flooded with thousands of tags in Kodi
This section allows you to nominate which extra artwork you would like scraped.
Due to changes in Artwork handling within the core program, v18 and v19 use different settings as described below.
4.2.1 v18 - Leia
The following are the available settings for extra artwork from fanart.tv.
Settings are for Movies and the Movie Set if the movie is part of a Collection.
4.2.2 v19 - Matrix
|FUTURE Matrix FEATURE:|
This page or section describes features that are a future part of the Kodi v19 release, codename "Matrix". For more information see development builds.
Scraping and caching of extended artwork is now a single step process. The artwork settings have been removed from the scraper, as well as the requirement for editing the advancedsettings.xml file.
|All artwork related settings are now set in Settings > Media > Videos in the new Artwork section of the Kodi settings.|
If you had the artwork tags in your advancedsettings.xml file from v18, these will have been transferred across to the new settings system and added to the Custom setting, otherwise you will need to manually enter which artwork types you prefer.
- Enable artwork from fanart.tv
- This setting is enabled by default which allows scraping of artwork.
- For those that prefer no extended artwork, a single toggle is available to disable artwork scraping from fanart.tv.
- Language for Fanart.tv artwork
- Allows you to select a language different to the metadata language. The default setting is English.
- Fanart.tv personal API key(optional)
- Enter your personal API key here if you have one.
- A personal API key is not required to use these features.
|Return to top|