Add-on:MythTV PVR Client
|MythTV PVR Client|
|Add-ons||MythTV PVR Client|
|Need help with this add-on? See here.|
MythTV frontend (up to MythTV 34). Supports streaming of Live TV & Recordings, listening to Radio channels, EPG and Timers.
This add-on is installed from the Add-on browser located in Kodi as follows:
For Linux, see... Ubuntu PVR add-ons
|Live TV, PVR & Radio Contents|
MythTV can be set up on a variety of Linux distributions and also on Mac OS X. The MythTV Wiki page has several pages of detailed instruction sets for various distros and tuner types.
The released PVR client addon for Kodi have been tested with MythTV PVR backend (server) version 0.27 to 33.
What is MythTV
MythTV is a open source software PVR project that is designed to run on Linux, although other operating system packages are available. With MythTV you can watch Live TV, schedule recordings, view episode guide information, and many other features you expect from a DVR type appliance device. But more interesting for Kodi users is that as MythTV uses a distributed application structure it can also be configured as PVR backend (PVR server) for Kodi, supporting multiple Kodi frontends as clients, with MythTV acting as the PVR backend that does work of tuning TV signals, recording, scheduling, and post processing jobs.
By levering existing third-party PVR_recording_software applications such as MythTV that specialize in receiving television signals and support a client–server model which Kodi can access via a PVR client addon, these PVR features allows you to watch Live TV, listen to radio, view a EPG TV-Guide, schedule recordings and enables many other TV related features, all using Kodi as your primary interface once the initial pairing connection to MythTV have been done and configuration of the PVR client addon for it is complete.
Note: This will not give you access to the Videos section. For videos you can enable NFS.
MythTV quick start guide
You have to setup an IPv4 address for all backends (master and slave) and the PIN code to allow remote connections from clients as Kodi. Kodi could connect to the master or any slave. The master backend chooses the best tuner/host regarding of the availability. Also in the addon settings you will have to enter the IPv4 address of the master backend, not a slave.
Connecting Kodi to MythTV
- Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Install from repository -> PVR Clients and select the MythTV add-on.
- Select "Configure"
- For Linux installation see... Ubuntu PVR add-ons
MythTV addon designed for Kodi (pvr.mythtv)
The addon supports MythTV Backend version 0.27 and up to 33. It inter-operates with new API provided by MythTV backend since 0.27. To use it first you have to enable the API services of your backend by running mythtv-setup and set the security pin as "0000", set the IPv6 address to value "::1" if you haven't IP6 network infrastructure.
Addon provides Live TV, recording playback and schedules services. It includes its internal demuxer for mpeg-ts standard and allows access of sources and storages of all MythTV infrastructure including master and its slave backends.
Addon allows streaming of Live TV and Recordings, listening to Radio channels, EPG and Timers, including fanarts, covers and previews from your MythTV backend.
Configuration of the default rules for new recordings. Recording rule templates have been introduced in MythTV 0.26. For older MythTV versions, please use and configure the addon-Internal template provider.
Advanced tab contains settings to tune the addon. Some change the look and feel, while others modify the behavior with respect to your hardware configuration.
EIT Categories or MythTV genre colours in Kodi EPG
You can create your own matching file "eit_categories.txt" to configure the matching of MythTV categories and EIT categories, depending of your country or the source of the guide data. To do that, copy the original file from "~/.kodi/addons/pvr.mythtv/resources/eit_categories.txt" in the user folder i.e "~/.kodi/userdata/addon_data/pvr.mythtv/eit_categories.txt", then edit this copy by adding your(s) own matching. The file contains record in the format CSV. Lines starting with "#" are comment. Each record contains two fields: the first is EIT number (hexadecimal format), and the second is the category retrieved from the MythTV backend (Guide data).
- If you're experiencing troubles with the add-on, MythTV section of Kodi Forum is the correct place to ask for help.
- Always include a full Debug Log with the add-on setting Include more debug information in the log file enabled.
- Issues that are only related to this add-on (not to Kodi itself or Kodi's general PVR code) should be reported here: https://github.com/janbar/pvr.mythtv/issues (if unsure, ask in the forum first!)
- See sources repository pvr.mythtv to learn how to build addon from the official repository
- This addon uses the Transifex Localization platform. You're welcome to contribute translations: https://www.transifex.com/janbar/pvrmythtv/
- MythTV website - http://mythtv.org
- MythTV backend for Kodi support forum - http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=170
- Addon's issue tracker: https://github.com/janbar/pvr.mythtv/issues
- MythTV genre colours in Kodi EPG
- MythTV + HDHomeRun Prime: http://gameroomsolutions.com/live-tv-setup/