The "XBMC Foundation" is the non-profit organization that oversees the Kodi project and is registered in the US.
Membership of the XBMC Foundation is typically taken from members of Team Kodi, but may include non Team members.
2 Board of Directors
The XBMC Board of Directors are Foundation members that manages the XBMC Foundation. The Board consists of five seats that are chosen by vote from the XBMC Foundation members. The Board's responsibilities include management of funds, publicity, and all business related issues (taxes, communication with other businesses, maintaining non-profit status etc.)
3 Board of Directors meetings
The Board meets about once a month (in addition to any special meetings as required) to discuss any business that needs to be handled by the foundation. Meetings are typically conducted via teleconference using a service such as Skype.
4 Board of Directors elections
- Who can be an XBMC Board member?
- Any existing member of the foundation, as voted by the remaining members.
- How long does a board member hold office?
- Terms last for two years. We endeavor to have a staggered cycle so that not all board members are turned over at a single election. There are no term restrictions, so Board members may even run for consecutive terms. However, in the interests of sharing the load, any and all members are encouraged to participate.
- What is expected of an XBMC Board member?
- Board members are expected to attend all meetings or will otherwise be diligent in letting the other board members know if they won't be around. Further, they'll be expected to make decisions (as a group) in the best interests of the foundation. The Board accountable to the members, so should consider recommendations made by members during the decision making process, Though they ultimately must make the final decisions. Any and all discussion should be frankly communicated to members within a reasonable time frame.
- Who elects the officers (President, Secretary, Treasurer etc?)
- The board elects the officers. In doing so, they may choose to take advice from the membership, but the decision is theirs. The President must be from within the board itself, though Secretary, Treasurer, and any other officers the board wishes to appoint may be from outside the board (or outside the membership).
4.1 Election process
Board elections occur as follows:
- A member is nominated by the Board to oversee the election.
- Nominations for the open positions are taken from within the existing membership via email and/or via a forum thread. This lasts a minimum of 10 days.
- Confirmed nominees are placed on the ballot.
- A vote of the membership is then taken using a trusted internet voting service using a ranking system. (usually via the Condorcet Internet Voting Service, http://www.cs.cornell.edu/w8/~andru/civs ) and the candidates with the highest ranks take office. This lasts about two weeks.
- In the event of a tie, it will be resolved with the existing board members discussing with the tied nominees. Tied nominees that do not go on the board may be nominated as officers of the Foundation, for example.
4.2 Previous elections
5 Foundation Bylaws and other important documents
- Media:Delaware Incorporation Notice.pdf
- Media:Delaware Notice Of Good Standing.pdf
7 Financial information
7.1 Financial status
- Form 990 2016 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsEEPRqIzELYnNZRTlPY3liTUE/view?usp=sharing
- Income and expenses 2015 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsEEPRqIzELOVpUa0p4endrRWc/view?usp=sharing
- Income and expenses 2014 - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwsEEPRqIzELVW9rMkpPUWZRSHM/view?usp=sharing
- Income and expenses 2013 - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtlJ3dnHcw46dHpmeXlIV0hGaC13Z3I3b25hZWhWRGc#gid=8
note: 2014 and 2015 expenses are partially incomplete due to software accounting issues with international currency. $10k income from sponsorships is missing and at least 10k or 20k devcon costs is also missing.
7.2 Account details
Europe bank account
- Bank: ING Netherlands
- Beneficiary: Kodi Foundation
- IBAN account: NL39 INGB 0006 6296 56
- BIC: INGBNL2A
Unites States account
- Bank: Wells Fargo
- Beneficiary: Kodi Foundation
8 Legal representation
The XBMC Foundation is legally represented by the SFLC (Software Freedom Law Center).
In addition the XBMC Foundation is member of OIN (Open Invention Network) since 9 July 2010. OIN is a defensive patent pool and community of patent non-aggression which enables freedom of action in Linux.
For contact information, please see http://kodi.tv/about/contact/
10 See also
10.1 Similar page names
- The XBMC Foundation