HDHomeRun is made by SiliconDust and is a stand-alone networked TV/HDTV tuner box. The HDHomeRun can either connect with over the air TV signals or with cablecard, and then stream the channels over a network to supported clients, such as Kodi.
1 HDHomeRun official add-on (Python Script based)
Silicon Dust has released an official HDHomeRun add-on for their later models (Prime, Connect, Extend) that automatically handles setting up and viewing the HDHomeRun directly in Kodi, complete with an EPG (electronic programming guide). This add-on can be installed from the official Kodi add-on repo.
2 HDHomeRun unofficial PVR add-on (C/C++ based)
The HDHomeRun PVR addon is a unofficial native PVR client made by the Kodi community for SiliconDust HDHomeRun network attached television tuner series. This unofficial PVR C/C++ binary addon for HDHomeRun is an open source code community project and is not to be confused with SiliconDust's official HDHomeRun addon, which unlike the unofficial addon talked about here is Python Script based and not true native PVR client addon, meaning that the official addon does not use Kodi's own native PVR frontend interface.
Newer HDHome Run devices can act as UPnP/DLNA servers, which allow setting up in Kodi to be as easy as adding a normal UPnP file source.
3.1 Video guides
- Setting up the HDHome Run Prime and Raspberry Pi for cable TV in the US
4 PVR/Live TV
The HDHomeRun can also be accessed indirectly via several external third-party PVR recording software applications for full PVR features, including TV guides/EPGs, scheduled recordings, and more.
5 External Links
- HDHomeRun official website at SiliconDust
- SiliconDust Support Forum for HDHomeRun
- SiliconDust support forum for XBMC
- Kodi Community Forum discussion - Native support for HDHomeRun (Networked Digital Cable TV/HDTV Tuner)
- HDHomeRun ToolBox for Linux Project
- Using HDHomeRun Prime with Raspberry Pi for live cable TV viewing