This method assumes you are able to navigate the menu system of Kodi. If you cannot gain access to the menu system, then you will need to follow the Advanced Method.
Ensure you follow each step in the displayed order.
Note: If you intend to use the Kodi Logfile Uploader Add-on install the add-on now before commencing the steps.
|1. Enable Debug Mode by using one of the following methods:|
- If you have been asked to enable component specific logging see Enable component-specific logging section below.
|2. Restart Kodi using one of the options in the Kodi Power Menu.|
- Do not simply disconnect the power. Doing this may prevent saving the changes you made in the Settings page when you enabled Debug Mode.
- When you restart, you should see counters displayed in the top left corner of the screen. If you do not see these counters, then debug mode is not enabled.
- Enabling Debug Mode has the following effect:
- Reduce the size of the log by clearing it and starting fresh
- It captures the startup that can reveal critical information about the installation. eg graphics cards, audio drivers, versions etc
|3. It is important that you now replicate the problem while the log is running. Do whatever you did previously when you experienced the problem.|
- For example...
- If you are having problems scraping, then run an Update Library
- If you are having problems with playback, then try playing the problematic video or music file
- If you cannot install add-ons, then try installing the add-on.
|4. The log must now be uploaded to a Pastebin type site using one of the methods in the next section:|
3 Uploading Methods
Choose one of these methods to upload the log.
3.1 Add-on Kodi Logfile Uploader
- If you are using this method to upload the log, you may run it now. Once you upload the logfile, you must post the provided url into a post on the forum. Without it, we will be unable to locate your logfile.
- By default the add-on only uploads the current kodi.log file. If you need to upload the kodi.old.log, ensure the setting is enabled in the add-ons setting page. Once enabled, you will need to upload the current kodi.log, then upload the kodi.old.log
3.2 File Manager
- Log file/File manager access
- This page describes another method to access the log file using the Kodi File manager. This method can be used as the fallback option if the Kodi Logfile Uploader is not functioning on your installation. If you are using a desktop type operating system such as Windows, using the Kodi File Manager is not necessary as all files can be accessed through the file browser of the operating system.
- Once you have obtained the log, use the Copy and Paste method to upload the log.
3.3 Copy and Paste
- If you are using a desktop operating system, such as Windows, then you can simply navigate to the Debug Log using the File Manager of the operating system.
- Once you find the log...
- Open it with any text editor and copy the contents of the file.
- Paste the contents to a paste site like http://paste.kodi.tv/ or https://paste.ubuntu.com.
- Press the Save icon or Paste! depending on which site you are using.
- When the screen refreshes with your paste, copy the entire address in the address bar and paste it into a new message in your post.
- Logs are located in the following locations:
|Operating System||File/Folder Path|
|Windows store (UWP)||%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\XBMCFoundation.Kodi_4n2hpmxwrvr6p\LocalCache\Roaming\Kodi\kodi.log|
|Special protocol||special://logpath (this can be used by scripts)|
4 Enable component-specific logging
Only enable this if you have been specifically asked to enable it.
For more extensive logging, several system components can be selected to put in more detailed debug messages in Kodi's log file. Multiple components can be selected.
Enable the setting Enable component-specific logging in Settings > System Settings > Logging.
Select Specify component-specific logging and select the required components.
The following components are available, depending upon your hardware.
|GUI name||<setextraloglevel> code|
|The SMB library||32|
|The libcURL library (HTTP(S), DAV)||64|
|The FFmpeg libraries||128|
|The Audio component||2048|
|The Video component||32768|
|audio/video timing information||262144|
|The Webserver component||65536|
|The Airtunes library||4096|
|The UPnP components||8192|
|The libCEC library||16384|
|The Database component||131072|
|Return to top|