The Debug Log is Kodi's most basic diagnostic tool that assists in fault finding and troubleshooting. Kodi records a process and error log at all times, but this may not be sufficent and more detail is required. The Debug Log records additional data that may assist in resolving issues experienced by the user. The Easy and Advanced methods are the two options to create the Debug Log. The method you choose will depend on your requirements.
- Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Always use a paste site like http://paste.kodi.tv/ or https://paste.ubuntu.com. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum.
- Provide FULL Logs only. No Partial logs or snippets. The only redactions should be personal information. (See the section on Personally Identifiable Information below)
- Forum Rules are strictly enforced especially those pertaining to the Piracy Policy and Banned Add-ons. If you have banned add-ons installed, you are ineligible for support at the Official Kodi forum.
- We do not accept files uploaded to lockers or online storage locations that require downloading to local computers.
- This method assumes you are able to navigate the menu system of Kodi. If you cannot gain access to the menu system, then you will need to follow the Advanced Method.
- This page will describe how to create, access and upload the Debug Logfile when Kodi is unresponsive or you are unable to navigate the menu system. If you can navigate the menu system, it is recommended you use the Easy Method.
3 kodi.log -v- kodi.old.log
The Kodi logs are Session Logs. The logs are written from Kodi startup to Kodi shutdown (or crash). The next time you start Kodi, the existing kodi.log is renamed Kodi.old.log and a new kodi.log is created for this new session. In effect you only ever have two logs available- the current one, and the previous one.
Which log you upload depends...
- If you have created the log which captures the problem and have not restarted Kodi, then upload kodi.log
- If you have created the log which captures the problem and have restarted Kodi, then upload kodi.old.log
4 Personally Identifiable Information
Password and Personally Identifiable Information Warning
Be aware that personally identifiable information may be revealed in the debug log. For example...
- If you have used your full name in the folder path, this will be revealed. eg f:\JohnSmith\Movies\Lucy (2015)
- You are using add-ons from an unofficial repository where the author has failed to mask usernames and passwords
If this applies to your log and you are using the Kodi Logfile Uploader, then view the log first to ensure the Kodi Logfile Uploader has stripped all sensitive information from the log.
Passwords for network shares like SMB/SAMBA, FTP, etc, will automatically be excluded from the debug log. Add-ons from the Official Repository will not reveal passwords and usernames.
5 See Also
- Kodi Logfile Uploader Add-on
- Using the Kodi File Manager to access logs
- Available Settings in the advancedsettings.xml
|Return to top|