Add-on:The TVDB v4
|The TVDB v4
|The TVDB v4
TheTVDB.com is a TV Scraper. The site is a massive open database that can be modified by anybody and contains full meta data for many shows in different languages. All content and images on the site have been contributed by their users for users and have a high standard or quality. The database schema and website are open source under the GPL.
This add-on is installed from the Add-on browser located in Kodi as follows:
- Install from repository
- Information providers (v16 and higher)
- TV information
- The TVDB v4
TheTVDB v4 is the latest scraper developed by TheTVDB Team. It is written in Python and accesses the new v4 of the TheTVDB API.
This scraper is intended to replace all other scrapers that currently utilise TheTVDB site. It is expected that v1, v2 and v3 of TheTVDB API will be shutdown by then end of 2022, rendering the existing TheTVDB scrapers as broken.
TheTVDB v4 scraper accesses the following site to scrape your TV Shows, seasons and episodes:
- TheTVDB - for metadata and artwork
Scraper settings can be adjusted in three locations, each location having a different result. When adjusting the settings be mindful of where:
- 1. Kodi System Settings ▶ Add-ons ▶ Information Providers ▶ (Select Scraper)
- Scrapers are installed with default settings. Adjusting settings in this location sets the new default settings for your scraper. From this point on any source you change to use this scraper will use the new default settings. Existing sources are not changed
- If an existing source is already using this scraper, and you would like the new settings to take effect, change the source to use another scraper, save and answer no to updating the library. Then change the scraper back and the new default settings will be loaded for the source. See: Changing Scrapers
- Alternatively, use the next method.
- 2. Videos ▶ Files ▶ Source ▶ Context Menu ▶ Change Content ▶ Settings
- Changing settings at the source will affect that source only.
- 3. Videos ▶ Files ▶ Source ▶ Movie/TV Show folder ▶ Context Menu ▶ Change Content ▶ Settings
- Changing settings on the folder containing a movie or TV show will affect only that movie or TV show.
Note: Changing scraper settings does not change the metadata or artwork already in your library. Only items scraped after the setting changes will be affected.
- Set which language of metadata to scrape. If the selected language is not available for a TV show, it will fall back to English.
- Season Type
- See next section Flexible Orders
- Please provide the gender of the primary user of this information. TheTVDB collects basic demographic information that we anonymize and combine to track worldwide TV and movie popularity. We provide this summarized information to partners in the entertainment space to help influence the production and licensing of content.
- Birth Year
- Please provide the birth year of the primary user of this information. TheTVDB collects basic demographic information that we anonymize and combine to track worldwide TV and movie popularity. We provide this summarized information to partners in the entertainment space to help influence the production and licensing of content.
- Enter an optional TheTVDB subscriber PIN. Future extended functionality within this plugin may benefit from being a TheTVDB subscriber, which grants you a unique PIN to use within all of your TheTVDB-connected systems. This is not required for the functionality most users would expect, but it does help support TheTVDB as a free resource.
Some TV Shows are originally broadcast in one order (default order) but the order may be different when broadcasting in a different country (La Casa De Papel), or the DVD/Bluray release may have a different screening order (Firefly).
TheTVDB allows for up to 6 different Orders as follows:
- Standard Orders
- * Default (Aired Order) - the primary order for the episodes of the TV show
- * Absolute - Absolute ordering places all episodes in a single ordered season. This is generally used for anime.
- * DVD - Used if the DVD/Bluray release uses a different order to the default order
- Flexible Orders
- * Alternate - The first available flexible order
- * Regional - The second available flexible order
- * Alternate DVD - The third available flexible order
To use one of the Flexible Orders:
- Locate the TV show at TheTVDB and confirm that Flexible Orders are available (image 1, items 1 & 2.)
- Select the preferred order (image 1, item 2.). The SxxEyy type numbering of your episode files must match the episode numbering of your chosen order.
- Note the order name used by the API (image 1, item 3.)
- In the scraper settings select the Season Type setting, and select the correct API order (images 2 & 3). Change scraper settings using method 3 detailed above in Settings.
- Scrape as per normal.
- Note: Not all order types are available for each TV Show. Check the available orders for your show at TheTVDB
Having problems? Check these common problems and solutions
- No seasons or episodes are scraped, or are partially scraped
- Normally caused by setting an episode order in the scraper that is not available at TheTVDB. Check the Season Type setting, and select an order that is available at TheTVDB.
- I mess up my scrape because I forget to change the Season Type from the previous scrape
- Leave the Source settings with the default settings, which you would use for most scrapes. For the shows requiring a different order, drill down to the TV show folder, and change the scraper setting for the individual TV show by selecting Change content from the context menu.
|Return to top