Add-on:The Movie Database Python
|The Movie Database Python|
|Add-ons||The Movie Database Python|
|Need help with this add-on? See here.|
themoviedb.org is a free and open movie database. It's completely user driven by people like you. TMDb is currently used by millions of people every month and with their powerful API, it is also used by many popular media centers like Kodi to retrieve Movie Metadata, Posters and Fanart to enrich the user's experience.
This add-on is installed from the Add-on browser located in Kodi as follows:
- Install from repository
- Information providers (v16 and higher)
- Movie information
- The Movie Database Python
The Movie Database Python scraper is developed and maintained by Team Kodi. It is written in Python and has proven to be more stable and reliable than the Regex based scrapers currently in use.
The Movie Database Python scraper accesses the following sites to scrape your movies and populate your library:
- TheMovieDB - for metadata and some artwork
- fanart.tv - for artwork
- IMDB - for ratings
- Trakt.tv - for ratings
If the scraper is unable to find the correct movie, you can perform a search using either the IMDB or TMDB ID's. This may be a more convenient method than using a Parsing NFO file.
- To search by IMDB ID enter the ttxxxxxx ID directly without any prefix
- To search by TMDB enter the prefix tmdb/ followed by the ID. eg tmdb/240832.
Scraper settings can be adjusted in three locations, each location having a different result. When adjusting the settings be mindful of where:
- 1. Kodi System Settings ▶ Add-ons ▶ Information Providers ▶ (Select Scraper)
- Scrapers are installed with default settings. Adjusting settings in this location sets the new default settings for your scraper. From this point on any source you change to use this scraper will use the new default settings. Existing sources are not changed
- If an existing source is already using this scraper, and you would like the new settings to take effect, change the source to use another scraper, save and answer no to updating the library. Then change the scraper back and the new default settings will be loaded for the source. See: Changing Scrapers
- Alternatively, use the next method.
- 2. Videos ▶ Files ▶ Source ▶ Context Menu ▶ Change Content ▶ Settings
- Changing settings at the source will affect that source only.
- 3. Videos ▶ Files ▶ Source ▶ Movie/TV Show folder ▶ Context Menu ▶ Change Content ▶ Settings
- Changing settings on the folder containing a movie or TV show will affect only that movie or TV show.
Note: Changing scraper settings does not change the metadata or artwork already in your library. Only items scraped after the setting changes will be affected.
- Keep Original Title
- Use the original (untranslated) title when downloading metadata for a foreign film.
- For example the movie Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) is the English translated title of the movie. The Original Name of the movie is 卧虎藏龙. If you prefer the English translated title (or whichever language you have set in the scraper settings), then disable the setting. If you prefer the original title then enable the setting.
- Preferred Language
- Set which language metadata to scrape
- Search Language
- If your movie folders and files are named using a language other than English then, to reduce false matches, use this setting to limit the search to the selected language.
- Enable fanart from TMDb
- The scraper uses fanart.tv as first choice for fanart. Enable this setting to download Fanart from TMDB instead. Will override the fanart.tv setting.
- Separate TMDb fanart with title to landscape
- Fanart is 16:9 artwork with no text. Landscape is fanart with text.
- With this setting enabled, 16:9 images with text are scraped as a Landscape image type.
- Enable Trailer (YouTube)
- Scrapes the links for trailers from YouTube.
- If you have locally saved trailers, do not enable this setting. See... Trailers
- Preferred Certification Country
- Select wich country Content Certification system (MPAA) to use.
- Certification Prefix
- To display the appropriate Content Advisory Rating flags in your skin, the rating must be prefixed. Check with the skin author what the prefix is for your chosen country. The image shows prefix for Australian Certification.
- Default Rating from
- Choose which rating to download and display as the default rating. Most skins displays only a single rating. Choices are TMDB, IMDB and Trakt.
- Add also IMDB ratings
- Download IMDB ratings in addition to the default rating. If IMDB is selected as default above, this setting will not be visible.
- Add also Trakt.tv ratings
- Download Trakt.tv ratings in addition to the default rating. If Trakt.tv is selected as default above, this setting will not be visible.
- Add multiple studios
- Scrape all movie studios associated with the movie.
|Enabling this setting will break the display of Studio Icons in your skin. Studio Icons can only be displayed for a single studio.|
- Add keywords as tags
- Scrape Keywords from TMDB and add them as Tags in Kodi
- Be aware that larger libraries may be flooded with thousands of tags in Kodi
This section controls artwork scraping from fanart.tv
All artwork related settings are now set in Settings > Media > Videos in the new Artwork section of the Kodi settings. Use these settings to modify which artwork types are downloaded. The default is to download all artwork types.
If you had the artwork tags in your advancedsettings.xml file from v18, these will have been transferred across to the new settings system and added to the Custom setting, otherwise you will need to manually enter which artwork types you prefer.
- Enable artwork from fanart.tv
- This setting is enabled by default which allows scraping of artwork from fanart.tv.
- For those that prefer no extended artwork, disable this setting. Artwork will then be limited to Poster, fanart, landscape and clearlogo as provided by TheMovieDB, unless you have further adjusted the artwork settings in Kodi.
- Language for Fanart.tv artwork
- Allows you to select the language of the artwork for poster, clearart, clearlogo, landscape and other types of artwork that contain text. The default setting is English.
- Prioritize fanart.tv artworks over preferred language
- If an artwork type is not available in your chosen language, then:
- Enabling this setting downloads the artwork in the first available language.
- Disabling this setting will not download any artwork for that particular artwork type.
- Fanart.tv personal API key(optional)
- Enter your personal API key here if you have one.
- A personal API key is not required to use these features.
- For more information on API keys, see fanart.tv Personal API Key benefits
|Return to top|