Kodi v18 (Leia) FAQ
This FAQ applies to the current development builds which will be pre-alpha of Kodi v18 (Leia) built from the master repository.
| FUTURE FEATURE:|
This page or section describes features that are a future part of a Kodi release. For more information see development builds.
Frequently Asked Questions for upgrading to Kodi v18 (codename Leia) from a previous version. Includes how to enable some of the new features, where some controls got moved to, etc.
|Kodi v18 (Leia) FAQ|
- 1 General FAQ
- 2 New system requirements
- 3 Upgrading
- 4 Where did it this or that go?
- 5 Troubleshooting
- 6 Notes
- 7 See also
1 General FAQ
- See also: All platforms FAQ for an FAQ that applies to all versions of Kodi.
1.1 What is Kodi? What is Leia?
- Kodi is the new name for XBMC media center. "Leia" something will be the codename for version 18 of Kodi, just as "Krypton" was the codename for Kodi v17 and "Jarvis" was the codename for Kodi v16". You will often see "v18" and "Leia" used interchangeably in the community.
- See: Kodi v18 (Leia) changelog. Add-on developers should also see Leia API changes, and skinners should also read the respective sticky posts in the Skin Development Forum for full changelog on changes to the skinning engine.
1.3 What are some of the noticeable new features?
- In addition to many "under the hood" improvements, some of the visible additions to Kodi v18 (Leia) will include:
1.4 Major addition summary 1
1.5 Major addition summary 2
2 New system requirements
- Kodi v17 and later requires that Android devices run at least Android 5.0 or later.
- If you want to auto-update Kodi using Google Play then keep in mind that Google Play won't update Kodi unless Android 5 or higher is installed.
2.2 Specific system requirement example goes here
|If you are upgrading from XBMC v13 to Kodi v18 then please read Migration from XBMC to Kodi first.|
|Always backup your settings before upgrading, just incase!|
3.1 How do I upgrade from v17 to v18?
- ANDROID USERS: Don't uninstall an earlier version of Kodi/XBMC before installing the new version. Uninstalling first would remove all of your settings. Just install the new version and it will replace the older version and retain your settings.
- In most cases you can just install Kodi v18 over Kodi v17. All your settings and library are saved and will continue to work in the new version. See Installing for specific install instructions.
- Most basic (video, audio, etc) add-ons that worked in Kodi v17 should still work in v18.
- If you have any issues (settings not being copied over, blank screens, etc) when updating from versions older than v14: remove the new version, install the older version of Kodi/XBMC from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/ , and then upgrade to the next version. In other words, if you have v14, first install v15 and run Kodi, Quit Kodi and then install v16 and run Kodi. Quit Kodi again and install v17, then run Kodi. Quit Kodi again and install v18, then run Kodi.
- As long as your MySQL server is set up to allow XBMC/Kodi to make new databases for the upgrade itself (see MySQL/Upgrading) then you don't need to do anything for upgrading a MySQL set up for Kodi. Even if you use "XBMC" in your advancedsettings.xml file, you can leave this the same and everything will still work.
4 Where did it this or that go?
4.1 advancedsettings.xml changes
4.3 CodecInfo playback information
4.4 Add-on manager
4.5 Live TV
4.6 Setting that moved
4.7 Feature that moved
5.1 What are some of the known issues in v18?
5.2 Where can I get more help?
- The general and platform specific FAQs, the Kodi support forums: http://forum.kodi.tv, and/or the #kodi IRC chat channel on irc.freenode.org.
5.3 EXAMPLE PLATFORM: Example issue 1