In a default Kodi installation, with a properly setup and scraped library, all Movies will be under the Main Menu Movie button, and your TV shows will be under the TV Shows button. All your Sci Fi movies will be mixed in with your Westerns, Animated, Romantic Comedies, Concert Films, etc. and the same for your different TV show types or genres.
This How To: Guide explains the process of creating new Main Menu items to enable separate main menu listings. Example uses include:
- Separating childrens movies from mature movies
- Separately list documentaries, cartoons, sci-fi or any other genre
- Separately list Home Movies
This function is skin dependant and does not work on the default Estuary skin. For the purpose of this guide, we are using Kodi v17.6 with the Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO skin.
Note: This guide assumes you know how to install Kodi, install skins, and add Sources to your Kodi library, and have installed the Aeon Nox 5: SiLVO skin
With Smart Playlists and a skin like Aeon Nox 5 (and its variants), as well as most other skins, you can have specific Main Menu buttons for each library that will show only those videos you have chosen for each Main Menu button.
'For the purpose of this guide, we will create a new Movies menu item for Science Fiction'
An image here of what the final menu looks like, showing scifi, cartoons, or whatever you have on your menu.
2 Folder Structure
The correct folder structure will ensure a relatively hassle free experience in setting up these menu buttons.
Organize the video files on your file server/NAS/local hard drive into separate folders for each Main Menu button you require.
The image below is an example of how you might organize your folders and files (Windows 10). Each category that you intend to have as a movie menu item, will have the movies saved in a specific folder.
3 Create Smart Playlists
The first step is to create a Smart Playlist for each new listing you require. The following is a simple guide to accomplish that:
- Click SYSTEM on the Main Menu, then in the window that opens click on the System icon. In the bottom left corner by the gear symbol ensure EXPERT is chosen.
- Add each folder as a Source to the Kodi library using the Add Video Source dialog box, being sure to select the content type (Movies or TV, etc.) correctly.
3. After each library has been added and scraped, go to the Playlists button under the Videos Main Menu button.
4. Choose New smart playlist…
5. In the Type menu choose Movies or TV as appropriate.
6. In the EDIT SMART PLAYLIST dialog box click on New rule….
7. In the CHOOSE RULE TYPE dialog box click on the word Title and choose Path from the CHOOSE RULE TYPE menu.
8. Now, click on the word contains.
9. Choose starts with from the SMART PLAYLIST RULE dialog box.
10. Click on the word Browse in the SMART PLAYLIST RULE dialog box.
11. Choose the library you want, then click OK.
12. The contents of the library will be listed, click OK again.
15. An onscreen keyboard will appear, type the name of your new Smart Playlist, click DONE.
- 16. Repeat the above steps as needed to build all the Smart Playlists you want, then back out to the home screen.
4 Customising The Main Menu
This step will create the new Main Menu items. The next section is a straight continuation of the steps in this section.
1. Click on SKIN SETTINGS under SYSTEM in the Main Menu.
2. In the next screen, click on Setup the Aeon Nox main menu (note: this guide is specific to Aeon Nox 5: Silvo v6.0.12 on Kodi v17 Krypton, your installation may be different).
3. The MAIN MENU CUSTOMIZER windows opens and will look like the above image
The Menu Items are on the left. The X deletes the item, the + adds a new one below the existing item, the arrows move the items up/down in the list and changes their position in the Main Menu accordingly. (note: The Default center Main Menu item is the third active menu item. In this example, it is WEATHER). On the right are the Menu Menu button modifiers.
Continue on with the next section
5 Adding The Smart Playlists To The Main Menu
This final step now links the Smart Playlists created in Section 3 to the new Main Menu items created in the previous Section.
1. Select a Main Menu item you want to change, or click the plus sign to create a new one. If you create a new item, it will appear below the selected menu item with the label NONE. Either way, on the right side, select Choose item for menu and a pop out menu will appear.
2. Click on Video Library.
3. In the pop out menu that appears next, choose Playlist
4. In the Playlist pop out menu, choose the required Playlist
5. In the What do you want to do with the playlist? box, choose Display
6. If you want, you can select background fanart for the individual playlists. This will rotate through fanart that is specific to that playlist.
7. Now scroll thru the pop out menu to (Video Playlist) <your playlist>
- 8. Then what? Select OK??
Repeat these steps as needed to add your playlists to the Main Menu, adjust their positions on the Menu to your liking, add widgets, etc.