21 Aug 2020 - The wiki is undergoing a major cleanup. If you arrived here from a search engine and cannot find the page, please use the wiki search instead (top right corner of page)
More info can be found on the forum
| Video library
Kodi can be used as a UPnP Server that will stream its library contents to other players on the network, or it can be used as a UPnP Client that can receive music and video from a UPnP Server on the network.
When using UPnP...
- The client player does not have direct access to the video and music files. It relies on the UPnP server to send a browse tree that will display on the client player.
- The UPnP Server cotrols the appearance of what is displayed in the browse tree which varies between different UPnP servers.
- The browse tree can provide a series of nodes through which you can browse the content (year, title, actors, artists, albums etc).
- If using the Kodi UPnP Server, these browse tree nodes are based on the Kodi library nodes and you can create additional nodes in the Kodi server to expand the browse tree.
Note: UPnP file sharing cannot be used to create a Kodi library on the client device. You can only browse and play from the Browse Tree.
|UPnP has inherent security risks. If your router has the UPnP setting enabled, then malicious actors may be able to access your network. You should be able to disable UPnP in your router, but still use UPnP on your local network.|
Kodi UPnP is disabled by default and must be activated before use.
If you intend to use Kodi as the UPnP Server, then select the Kodi installation that has the fully scanned/scraped library that you would like shared to your other devices.
Then setup Clients to receive the UPnP video and music libraries from the Server. You would not normally set your Kodi install as both a Server and Client.
UPnP settings can be found in
For an explanation of the settings see... Settings/Services/UPnP_DLNA
3 Create UPnP Source in Client
Step 10: Setup is complete. Browsing via UPnP is performed from this screen, or add the Source to your Favourites list, or create a New main menu item.
4 Stream to Clients
Kodi can also be a Control Point in addition to being a UPnP server, allowing you to select which client will commence playback of the currently selected title.
To enable and use this features
- On the Kodi server enable the setting Look for remote UPnP players in .
- When browsing on the Kodi server, call up the Context Menu
- Select Play with... and a list of UPnP clients will be listed.
- Select the client that will be used for playback
- If playing to a Kodi client, ensure the client has the setting Allow control of Kodi via UPnP enabled in .
|Return to top|