|XBMC Foundation||Trademarks||Trademark Policy|
1 Referenced Pages and Further Reading
Kodi (formerly known as XBMC) is open source media centre software, whose code is freely available for anyone to download, inspect, compile and fork. Because of this, proper usage of our brand name and trademarks are essential to inform users whether or not the product or service that they have or are using is recognised by and has the approval of the XBMC Foundation.
This document and its accompanying pages outline how our trademarks may and may not be used, and when approval for usage must be sought from the Foundation board. Usage of Kodi trademarks must only be done in accordance with this policy. A non-exhaustive list of the trademarks covered by this policy can be found here.
The overall aims of this policy are to:
- Make it clear and unambiguous whether a given product or service is provided by, supported by and/or approved by the XBMC Foundation.
- Maintaining our XBMC Foundation Marks as a reliable indicator of source, quality and security of the Kodi brand and codebase.
- Permit and encourage our wider community, including developers, software distributors and others who collaborate with us to promote and discuss Kodi and to accurately describe their affiliation to us.
Underlying this policy are the general laws and definitions of trademarks. Above all else, if there is any doubt or requirement for clarification, if you wish to report a trademark being abused or misused, or if you wish to discuss your usage case with us then please contact us at [email protected] .
3 General Trademark Guidelines
Without requiring and receiving specific permission from the XBMC Foundation board,
you may use Kodi trademarks, wordmarks or logos:
- to honestly and openly refer to and/or link to our applications, services or other official publicly established presences hosted on our official servers or maintained by Team Kodi elsewhere.
- offer direct links to our website to download our products from our official host servers and their mirrors.
- for marketing or other publicity material relating to the XBMC Foundation or its products for promotion of the brand.
- only in a non-confusing, unambiguous, open, honest and truthful manner.
- to produce unofficial t-shirts, desktop wallpapers, baseball caps and other merchandise solely for personal "fan" use and not for commercial or retail distribution or sale.
you may not use Kodi trademarks, wordmarks or logos:
- in advertising, web pages or other media to imply or claim approval, association, sponsorship, partnership or endorsement from Team Kodi in cases where no such agreement formally exists.
- as part of another brand, business, application, domain or service name where such use may cause confusion to end users between the 3rd party entity and the official Kodi one.
- in a defamatory, disparaging, derogatory or misleading fashion, or in any way to undermine or damage the trust, quality and the good name of the Kodi brand.
- in association with any product, service or application which is illegal, immortal or against the ethics of Team Kodi and violates our policies such as our piracy policy.
- in any altered, edited or derived form from our original items.
- as part of any commercial product for retail sale, promotion or distribution, regardless of whether reimbursement or profit is made or not.
4 Distribution of Kodi Software
The requirements for providing and distribution software based on the Kodi codebase is detailed in our Distribution Policy.
5 Third Party Addons and Related Software