|For more information and support see the YouTube add-on discussion thread|
|Need help with this add-on? See here.|
YouTube is a one of the biggest video-sharing websites of the world.
To install this add-on you must do so from the Add-on manager from within XBMC/Kodi by going to:
- Get add-ons
- XBMC/Kodi add-on repository
- Video Add-ons
In order to use this plugin you will need Dharma 10.1 or newer release of XBMC.
All functions are enabled if you are running an Eden v11 or newer version of XBMC.
- Non-intrusive user notifications
- Video thumbnail browsing for a more pleasant user experience
- Advanced Searching (including locally stored searches)
- Listing of YouTube's standard feeds and region specific feeds
- Adding and removing contacts
- Adding and removing favorites
- Subscribing and unsubscribing
- Listing Subscriptions including new subscription videos
- Listing a contacts uploads, playlists, favorite videos and subscriptions
- Playback of all video streams (RTMP support is currently not working due to limitations in rtmpdump)
- Plays videos that can't be embedded
- Auto-magically filters unavailable video's from YouTube's results (If you see it, you can play it)
- Supports YouTube Disco! (Music Discovery project) Searches (Beta)
- Supports Browsing YouTube Categories, Trailers and Shows (Beta)
2.1.1 Unofficial Browser extensions
The extensions above are known not to work with the newest YouTube and XBMC Eden and newer. The following unofficial extensions are available:
2.1.2 Integration with strm files
Youtube streams can be integrated into the video library with strm files.
The syntax for a youtube-URL like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=$VIDEOID is
3 Known problems
- One of the main features of the plugin is that it defaults to thumbnails view for video items. This only works when using the default "Confluence" skin as the plugin is dependent on the Id defined for confluences thumbnails view.
- YouTube also supports exposing videos through Adobes RTMPE Protected streaming protocol. But due to missing support for "RTMPE type 10 handshakes" in the rtmpdump library, playback is currently not working.
4 Feature request
If you have a feature request then create a new post in the YouTube support thread.
5 Reporting a bug
If you are having problems with the plugin or just have a query please do read the documentation and do a search on the XBMC YouTube support thread before posting.
If you believe you have found a new bug, create a log (see below) and post in the YouTube support thread.
5.1 Creating a useful debug log
Typically users will report errors with descriptions that lack many important details. While we take all user reported errors seriously, its often is impossible to help if without a proper debug-log, this guide will take you through the steps to create such a log.
As such, if you want any help with this issue you must follow these steps.
- Open the plugin and go to "Advanced" in settings, enable "Plugin debug" and confirm.
- Find your debug Log here:
- Mac OSX:
- Windows 7 & Vista:
- Paste your debug log to http://pastebin.com/ ( Do NOT upload part of the log, we need the ENTIRE log. )
- Post a message in this thread with your debug log.
If you have problems following the guide, please ask on the forum thread and we will help you through it.
Integration and unittests are run continuously by Jenkins