SPMC is an unofficial fork of Kodi for Android created by Team Kodi developer Koying. While technically unofficial, it contains various "experimental" fixes and settings that can sometimes help users when the normal Kodi for Android doesn't work on their specific hardware, and is sometimes used to test new or exprimental features and functions.
SPMC has a different app ID from Kodi, so both can be installed side by side at the same time.
SPMC can also be downloaded from Google Play.
Git source code repository on Github: https://github.com/koying/SPMC
For more information and download links, see http://spmc.semperpax.com
1 Should I use Kodi or SPMC?
Users should generally first try the official kodi.tv builds from http://kodi.tv/download/ or the Google Play app store, and only if they still have issues they could then try SPMC. Or, some specific hardware configurations or situations might have their own tweaks that SPMC will help with, like audio passthrough improvements, Android TV home screen recommendations, voice search, etc.
Just remember that SPMC is not a normal build and is not supported by Team Kodi, so don't report SPMC bugs or issues to Kodi's bugtracker, etc.
2 Hints and suggestions
Most of the following is taken from the SPMC's thread on Kodi's forum: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264102
- Activate the voice search
- To activate the voice search the web server has to be on and set with degfault settings (i.e. user "kodi", no password, port 8080)
- GlobalSearch and keyboard.xml tweak for mic button on Nvidia Shield Remote
- The following keymap.xml maps the mic button from the Nvidia Shield Remote to activate the globalsearch addon but you need to press one more time the same button to voice search and press the OK button to actually search. Also the mic button is mapped to the Info button while playing video, because initiating a SPMC voice search (instead of the normal Android TV one) locks up SPMC and then you have to force close it (seems it does not gracefully pause the video).
- <key id="61620">runaddon(script.globalsearch)</key>
- <key id="61620">Info</key>
- <key id="61620">Back</key>
- To have the SPMC activating on shield at startup AKA launcher
- You have two options:
- Needs the shield to be rooted: https://github.com/koying/SPMC/wiki/How-to-autostart-SPMC-on-boot
- Without rooting the shield: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/929643/shield-android-tv/auto-start-spmc-/post/4854168/#4854168
- Pros and cons of NFS and SMB
- Very little howto http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264102&page=55
- Tweaking the advancesettings.xml http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=264102&page=56