Tvheadend is a TV streaming server for Linux supporting DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-T, ATSC, IPTV, and Analog video (V4L) as input sources and can be used as a PVR backend of XBMC.
1 Important notes about Tvheadend
Tvheadend does not currently support Timeshifting or live rewind, however all other PVR functions should work without issue.
The following XBMC/OS distributions come with Tvheadend already installed, or easily installed as an option. These are great one-stop solutions that can greatly simplify the installation of the backend, as well as various other benefits unique to those distros.
3 Installing Tvheadend
4 Tvheadend quick start guide
4.1 Connect XBMC to Tvheadend
- Tvheadend hostname or IP address
- The hostname or IP address of the server where Tvheadend is installed. If on the same machine then 'localhost' can be used.
- HTTP port
- The default for Tvheadend is 9981 but this will need updating if you have changed it in the Tvheadend settings.
- HTSP port
- The default for Tvheadend is 9982 but this will need updating if you have changed it in the Tvheadend settings.
- If you have configured Tvheadend to require a username then enter it here. This can be blank.
- If you have configured Tvheadend to require a password then enter it here. This can be blank.
- Connect timeout in seconds
- The default is 10 seconds however this can be lowered if you want XBMC to timeout connections to the Tvheadend backend quicker.
- Response timeout in seconds
- The default is 5 seconds however this can be lowered if you want XBMC to timeout requests to the Tvheadend backend quicker.
5 Additional guides and links