Pictures provides the ability to view your photos within Kodi. It has has the benefit of bringing togethar all your media- Video, Music, Photos - and making them accessible within the one location. View slideshows while playing music or read your comics on the big screen.
Pictures is a simple File Browser and viewer. Pictures does not use a database to store information, so currently lacks the feature set and versatility of the Video and Music Libraries, but it is on the Must-Do list for a future release.
The following standard image file formats are supported: 
The following RAW image files are supported: 
The following Stereoscopic image files are supported: 
Adding Sources for images is done in the exact same way as adding Sources for Video and Music.
If you need a reminder how to do this, see the guide Adding Video Sources. The only difference will be that you start in the Pictures menu and all mentions of Video will be replaced by Pictures.
If adding Sources that contain RAW image types, the following steps are required:
- Enable the binary add-on libraw image decoder located in Add-ons→Install from repository→Image decoder
- In the off chance the previous step still does not display your RAW pictures, add the following code to the advancedsettings.xml file. If you already have an advancedsettings.xml file, do not duplicate the <advancedsettings> tags.
<advancedsettings> <pictureextensions> <add>.arw|.cr2|.dng|.nef</add> <pictureextensions> </advancedsettings>
- See: Advancedsettings.xml
This requires the same procedure as per RAW formats above.
- Enable the binary add-on MPO image decoder located in Add-ons→My add-ons→Image decoder
- In the off chance the previous step still does not display your steroscopic pictures, add the following code to the advancedsettings.xml file. If you already have an advancedsettings.xml file, do not duplicate the <advancedsettings> tags.
<advancedsettings> <pictureextensions> <add>.mpo</add> </pictureextensions> </advancedsettings>
- See: Advancedsettings.xml
Once the Source(s) for Pictures are added, Kodi will cache the thumbnails the first time the picture list is viewed. This will make future loading of picture lists faster.
Select any picture to display it. Use left and right arrows to move back and forwards through the pictures. A list of keystrokes is listed below which will also reveal other functions.
|Keypress||Action on displayed image||Action on View Listing|
|0 (zero)||Cancel zoom|
|1-9||Zoom levels. 1= lowest zoom, 9= highest zoom|
|I||Image Information||Image Information + Image display|
|m||Left Sideblade Menu|
|p||Start slideshow from currently displayed image||Start slideshow from currently focused image|
|r||Rotate image clockwise|
|s||Kodi Power Options menu||Kodi Power Options menu|
|x||Exit Viewer or Exit Slideshow|
|→||Next image. If zoomed, then scrolls zoomed image right||Move to next image|
|←||Previous image. If zoomed, then scrolls zoomed image left||Move to previous image|
|↑||If zoomed, then scrolls zoomed image up||Move up a row of images|
|↓||If zoomed, then scrolls zoomed image down||Move down a row of images|
|home||Jump to beginning of list|
|end||Jump to end of list|
|Page Up||Jump to next page of images|
|Page Down||Jump to previous page of images|
The slideshow can be activated using the keystroke detailed in the above table or from the Left Sideblade Menu.
Options available in the Left Sideblade menu are as follows:
- View Slideshow
- The slideshow will use the images displayed in the current listing
- Recursive Slideshow
- The slideshow will use the images displayed in the current listing and images in any sub-directories. This option becomes active only when sub-directories with valid images are detected.
- Will mix the order of the images in the slideshow. Can also be set for permanent randomize in the settings page detailed next.
From Settings►Player►Pictures, the following settings options are available:
- Amount of time to display each image - Display time of images during slideshow. The default setting is 5 seconds
- Use pan and zoom effects - Enable or Disable slideshow Pan & Zoom effects. The default setting is Enabled
- Randomise - Randomise slideshows. The default setting is disabled, and can be temporarily enabled for the current slideshow from the left sideblade menu
- High quality downscaling - Enables high quality downscaling of images larger than the display resolution. May impact performance on low powered devices
From Settings►Media►Pictures, the following settings options are available:
- Show EXIF picture information - Display data embedded in the image
- Automatically generate thumbnails - Create thumbnails when in folder views
- Show video files in listings - If video files are mixed in with image files, these video files will also be displayed in listings
To create a slideshow with background music follow these steps:
- Navigate to Music, select and commence playing the required music.
- Back out of the Music section to the main menu using the appropriate key on your remote or ← Backspace on a keyboard
- Navigate to Pictures and commence the Slideshow
CBZ and CBR are comic book archive files. They are pictures stored in CBZ (a renamed ZIP-archive) or CBR (a renamed RAR-archive) format. CBZ and CBR comic book archives are automatically parsed by Kodi (as long as the image-format is supported) so they can be read.
Comic book archives are easily created. Use a compressed image format such as JPEG or PNG. Rename images sequentially and copy all images into a new folder. ZIP/RAR the folder and change the extension to *.cbz or *.cbr respectively. To speed up access by Kodi, do not compress the ZIP/RAR file.
The following are lists for Picture and Screensaver add-ons available from the Official Kodi Repository.
- Add-on:Banca Sapo
- Add-on:Google Drive
- Add-on:Google Photos
- Add-on:ATV4 Screensavers
- Add-on:Bing: Photos of the Week
- Add-on:Digital Clock Screensaver
- Add-on:Google Earth
- Add-on:Hufo Smoke
- Add-on:Hufo Tunnel
- Add-on:Lorenz Attractor
- Add-on:Matrix trails
- Add-on:Matrix View
- Add-on:Picture Slideshow Screensaver
- Add-on:Ping Pong
- Add-on:Shadertoy Screensavers
- Add-on:Solar Winds
- Add-on:Sundancer 2
- Add-on:Turn Off
- Add-on:Unsplash Photo Screensaver
- Add-on:Video ScreenSaver
|Return to top|