|XBMC Foundation||Trademarks||Distribution Policy|
1 Referenced Pages and Further Reading
There are four main ways that 3rd parties may wish to distribute a product based on our reference Kodi codebase:
- by redistribution of our unaltered reference binaries including their installation packages.
- by distributing forked or otherwise altered compiled Kodi rebranded binaries, with or without an installer.
- as part of a packaged distribution within a dedicated operating system framework.
- by forking and rebranding the software (either stand-alone or as part of a packaged distribution).
For any other routes or requirements (or if there are any questions or clarifications required), please contact the XBMC Foundation board via our [email protected] email address.
2.1 Redistribution of Our Unaltered Reference Binaries
This is allowed, including usage of our related trademarks, wordmarks and logos, without requiring further permission from the XBMC Foundation, subject to the following comments and caveats:
- You may not add to, remove or change any part of the downloaded package, including the installation process.
- No fee or other remuneration may be charged for the distribution.
- The distribution may not be tied to the purchase of any other product, subscription or service.
- By default the latest stable release version should be offered. Other versions may be offered in parallel as long as it is explicitly clear which version a given download link will supply.
- The collection and storage of any personal information relating to the distribution is not allowed.
- Any relevant local laws and restrictions will apply.
Our preferred method of such distribution is via links back to the official download area of our main website and the packages available therein.
2.2 Distributing Kodi Branded Forked or Otherwise Altered Compiled Binaries
Such proposals can be split into two general categories - work to achieve a stable Kodi distribution on a new and previously unsupported device, platform or operating system and work to add or modify the functionality of Kodi on an already existing device, platform or operating system.