|To-do list for OSMC:|
OSMC is the successor of RaspBMC and Crystalbuntu XBMC/OS distributions, created and maintained by Sam Nazarko.
- More info on OSMC and what it is: https://osmc.tv/about/
OSMC is an Kodi and linux-based OS distribution for Raspberry Pi, created and maintained by Sam Nazarko.
1.1 Main features
- Custom Linux distribution with minimalised kernel.
- Debian APT
- UI installers for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X to allow installation onto am removable device (like USB key or external Hard drive), and NFS share
- PVR / AirTunes / AirPlay integration
- Many addons will work on OSMC including SpotiMC for Spotify support
- Same stability and support as the Crystalbuntu and Raspbmc Linux distribution
- AFP, NFS and SMB file sharing
- Configuration utility allowing installation of custom nightlies, audio configuration, update management,
- Server mode – allows MySQL database hosting and Thumbnail sharing for Kodi multiseat systems.
- 1080p decoding
1.2 Installing OSMC
1.3 Updating OSMC
OSMC has an advanced update feature where you can choose when you want updates to be downloaded and installed, or if you want to do it manually. You can also use Debian APT to update OSMC.
1.4 Back Up Configuration/settings
- Login to the pi and, from the /home/pi/ dir, type:
tar -czf backup.tar.gz .kodi/
- Transfer that file to a secondary machine (ftp, sftp, or scp are all viable options)
Put back the backup on the system:
- Return the tar file you copied in step 2 to the Raspberry Pi
- Run the following commands:
sudo systemctl stop mediacenter; tar -xzf backup.tar.gz; rm backup.tar.gz; sudo systemctl start mediacenter
1.5 Further reading
- https://osmc.tv - Project home
- https://osmc.tv/help/wiki - Wiki and FAQ
- https://discourse.osmc.tv - OSMC support forums
1.6 See also
Crystalbuntu is an easy to use XBMC and linux-based OS distribution for Apple TV 1 (silver) created and maintained by Sam Nazarko. It is based on a light weight Ubuntu 12.04 LTS distribution.