|Live TV, PVR & Radio Contents|
Enigma2 is a framebuffer-based zapping application (GUI) that is primarily targeted to physical set-top-boxes running embedded Linux (OpenEmbedded based firmware distributions), however Enigma2 can technically also run on regular PCs, but it is not common.
While the Enigma2 software was originally developed by Dream Multimedia for their Dreambox series, the opendreambox.org has made Enigma2 into an popular open source based firmware platform for set-top boxes and it is used by a number of different set-top box manufacturers, including the most commonly known are Dreambox, DBox2, and Vu+ (VuPlus), which all use Enigma2 based firmware images. Most of these Enigma2 based set-top boxes falls under the category of Linux-powered satellite, terrestrial and cable digital television receivers.
With the Enigma2 PVR add-on Kodi PVR can be used also with any Enigma2 based set-top boxes running OpenWebIf. Other WebIfs are supported with a subset of the original functionality.
1 Enigma2 technical overview
Enigma2 frontend code is based on the Python Script language with a PVR backend software for tuning and recording written in C++ programming language. The PVR backend side uses the LinuxTV DVB API, which is part of a standard Linux kernel.
2 Enigma2 Client PVR add-on (C/C++ based)
The Enigma2 Client PVR add-on is a native PVR client made by the Kodi community for all Enigma2 based set-top boxes. This PVR C/C++ binary add-on for Enigma2 is an open source code community project.
2.1 Connecting Kodi to a Enigma2 box
- Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients and select the Enigma2 PVR add-on
- Select "Configure"
2.2 Setting up the Enigma2 add-on
2.3 Supported set top boxes
In general all Enigma2 based set top boxes should be supported, once they run OpenWebIf (full feature set) or a different WebIf (original feature set only).
Some features that may not work on other WebIfs:
- Drive Space Reporting
- Embedded EPG Genre IDs
- Full Tuner Signal Support (Including Service Providers)
- Timer and Recording descriptions: If your provider only uses short description (plot outline) instead of long description (plot) then info will not be displayed pertaining to the shows in question. For OpenWebIf clients a JSON API is available to populate the missing data.
- Edit recording name, last played position and play count for recordings
- Bouquet (and group specific) Backend Channel Numbers
If you have problems using this add-on you should try and contact the author via the Kodi Enigma2 PVR Support forum.
3 Connecting Kodi to Enigma2 backend
- Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients and select the Enigma2 add-on
- Select "Configure"
Within this tab the mandatory add-on options need to be configured before it can be successfully enabled. If your device is using a default setup on your local network only the following setting should need to be changed.
- Enigma2 hostname or IP address: Please enter the IP address or hostname of your enigma2 based set top box.
For all other settings please see Configuring the addon