21 Aug 2020 - The wiki is undergoing a major cleanup. If you arrived here from a search engine and cannot find the page, please use the wiki search instead (top right corner of page)
More info can be found on the forum
WeTek is an manufacturer of ARM-based media player set-top boxes that can run Kodi on Android or Linux, with the hardware and firmware images developed by WeTek Electronics Limited themselves as well as developers from the Archive:OpenELEC community.
WeTek devices all sell with Kodi as their main media player. They have some device models with support for integrated TV-tuners (which can be replaced) and some models without support for integrated TV-tuners.
- Archive:WeTek Play was the first model released in late 2014 which is still being sold directly from WeTek as their mid-level model pre-loaded with Android. WeTek Play is also being sold by the Archive:OpenELEC team pre-loaded with their popular embedded Linux distrobution for Kodi.
- Archive:WeTek Core was released in late 2015 and is their current entry-level model, as while technically more powerful Archive:WeTek Play does not support for integrated TV-tuners.
WeTek have also announced plans to release at least two new upcoming media player, with one expecting to be a middle level model and one high-end level model in succession sometime during 2016.
- WeTek Hub is an upcoming model without intregrated TV-tuner capability.
- WeTek Play2 is an upcoming model with intregrated TV-tuner capability for DVB-C/T/T2 and ATSC tuners.
- WeTek Play2S is an upcoming model with intregrated TV-tuner capability for DVB-S/S2 tuners.
WeTek devices can today be considered one of the main reference hardware target for the Kodi for Android development, (filling the role which Archive:Pivos_XIOS previously held). Archive:WeTek Play and Archive:WeTek Core performs roughly at the level the first and second-generation (2) Raspberry Pi respectivly, but other than coming with a proper remote control and media player case, support Android OS with DRM out-of-the-box so can use popular payed-subscription Android streaming apps like Netflix and Hulo.
1 See also
- Archive:WeTek Play was the first model released in late 2014, and have support for integrated TV-tuners.
- Archive:WeTek Core was released in late 2015, does not support for integrated TV-tuners.
- Android hardware - Other Android platform which Kodi supports hardware video decoding on.
- Android - Android operating system information in regards to Kodi usage.