Archive:Google Nexus Player
|Devices||Android||Google Nexus Player|
|These pages are maintained by the community and should not be considered an endorsement or recommendation. Device pages are made when there's a bunch of useful information for a particular device, and someone takes the time to make that page. Keep in mind, some devices simply don't need a page of specific information, but are still excellent devices. *|
|Google Nexus Player|
|Manufacturer||Google (and Asus)|
|OS||Android TV (based on Android 5.0 "Lollipop")|
|CPU||Intel Atom Z3560 (Anniedale) 1.8GHz Quad-Core 64-bit x86 CPU|
|Storage||8 GB internal (eMMC)|
|RAM||1 GB RAM (LPDDR3)|
|Graphics||PowerVR Series 6 (G6430) Graphics|
|Connectivity||HDMI with CEC support, Bluetooth 4.1, Micro-USB, WiFi 802.11ac 2x2 (MIMO), DC-power (18 Watt)|
|Dimensions||120 × 120 × 20 mm (weighs 235 grams)|
Nexus Player is an x86-64 (64-bit Intel Atom CPU) based Android digital media player co-developed by Google and Asus. Running the Android 5.0 "Lollipop" operating system, this Nexus Player was the first device to employ Google's Android TV platform.
1 Installing Kodi
The Google Nexus Player uses the "x86" version of Kodi for Android.
See Alternative keymaps for Nexus Player remote for how to improve how the Nexus Player remote works in Kodi.
3 Install Sideload Launcher (optional)
Because Google will currently not display side-loaded apps in its default "Leanback Launcher" you can use this "Sideload Launcher" app by Chainfire to more easily launch apps that have not been approved by Google or does otherwise not meet the declaration requirements needed for showing up on the default "Leanback Launcher" (on the Android TV homescreen) for Android TV.
- 1. Install "Sideload Launcher" app by Chainfire from Google Play store http://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.tv.sideloadlauncher
- 2. Reboot your Nexus Player by unplugging (as it does not have a software reboot) or by entering
adb rebootfrom command line / terminal.
- 3. Start the "Sideload Launcher" app and use it to launch Kodi or other third-party apps that you have side-load installed.
4 Video guide
5 Known issues
6 Random notes
Feel free to place various notes, tips, and links here. As this section of the wiki gets more organized, those notes will be properly sorted. Consider this like a dumping ground for when you're not sure where to put something.
- Not a issue for Kodi, but keep in mind that unlike almost all Android media players out there, the Nexus Player features a x86-64 (64-bit Intel Atom CPU) chipset instead of a ARM based SoC/CPU, and this means that some other Android apps and games that work on other Android media players may not work on the Nexus Player because of this reason.
- CEC support not confirmed but assumed as it is suppose to be prerequisite for Android TV?
- HDMI 1.4b video/audio output with HDCP 1.4. Resolution: 720p and 1080p up to 60fps?
- Weight 235 gram
- As noted in Install section, v5.0 build LRX21M and LRX21V don't seem to have ADB debugging options (i.e. for connecting to device over a network). Also, Sideload Launcher may not be needed as sideloaded Kodi (v14 beta 3) shows up under Apps on Nexus Player's main screen.
- The hardware remote for the Nexus Player is rather limited in functionality. While it will work for the majority of navigation needs, it is recommended to install a full feature software remote app for your phone or tablet such as KORE - Kodi Remote or Yatse, the Kodi Remote found at the Google Play Store for Android. These software remotes will give access to the menus of Kodi, otherwise not available through the Nexus Player hardware remote.
7 See also
- Kodi forum thread about the Google Nexus Player: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=206515
- Kodi forum thread about Google ADT-1 (Android TV Development Kit): http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=198998
- Official website for Nexus Player
- Official Google store for Nexus Player
- Wikipedia article on Nexus Player: wikipedia:Nexus Player
- Wikipedia article on Android TV: wikipedia:Android TV
- Sideload Launcher (by Chainfire) for Android TV application thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-sideload-launcher-android-tv-t2914962
- Android Developers Blog: http://android-developers.blogspot.se
- XDA Developers Forum: http://forum.xda-developers.com