Updating or removing videos
| The basic steps for adding|
videos to the library:
|Video library||Management||Updating or removing videos|
This page will show you the various methods of updating library information for videos and how to remove videos.
1 Updating the library
There are several ways you can scan your videos into the Video library:
- When a source or file has "content set" or changed, Kodi will ask you if you wish to update the library after you are done.
- In Library view you can choose "Update library" from the lefthand sidebar menu by pressing ← (left).
- Select the item in file view and either press I on the keyboard, or bring up the contextual menu (press C) and select "Movie information" or "TV show information"
- If the file is already scanned in, you can also use the info screen to refresh/update that entry in the library.
- You can select the share, folder, or TV show (anything that is basically a folder) that your videos are in and choose "Scan for new content" from the contextual menu (press C or ), which scans all files in that specific share/folder.
- Have Kodi scan for new items upon start up by going to
- Add-on:XBMC Library Auto Update can be used to schedule automatic updates to the library.
- Add-on:Library watchdog can be used to watch folders for new files to trigger library updates.
2 Refreshing the library
To refresh the information for existing videos:
- Refresh individually
- Select the item in file view and either press I on the keyboard, or bring up the contextual menu (press C).
- Select "Movie information" or "TV show information".
- Then select "Refresh".
When refreshing individually you can also choose to just refresh or manually select images for various views (cover art, fanart, thumbnails, etc).
- Refresh by source/folder
- Remove a source/folder from the library by changing the content setting to "None".
- When Kodi asks you if you want to remove those items from the library, say yes.
- Kodi will then show a progress bar and remove those entries.
- Change the content setting back to what it was before.
- Kodi will then rescan in those entries.
3 Removing videos
- You can remove the contents of entire folders/sources (without deleting the actual files) from the library by setting content to <None>, even if the parent folder is still included in the library. See #Removing sources for more info.
- Individual entries can also be removed (without deleting the actual files) by bringing up the contextual menu (press C on a keyboard) and selecting "Remove from library". Those videos will be scanned in the next time the library is updated unless the parent folder's content settings has Exclude path from library updates selected.
- If you've deleted or moved the actual video files and need to remove non-working library entries, you can use Clean library in
- While most users seem to prefer using a desktop computer to manage the actual "physical" files, including deleting them, there is an option to let you delete files in Kodi under
4 Removing sources
Setting the content back to (None) after previously having selected a scraper for a source, will prompt users if they want to remove the contents from the Library.
This is recommended if you wish to switch scrapers. First set content to (None) and then choose the new scraper.
Setting content to (None) also removes the contents of the selected folder from the Library altogether. This is useful if you want to remove the contents of an entire folder from the video library as removing entries from the contextual menu will only remove single items.