Mac OS X
1 Enabling SMB sharing
- Once you have your Network settings configured to communicate with XBMC you need to enable Windows Sharing through System Preferences by:
- Navigating to the Sharing panel.
- On the left, under Service, select "File Sharing" and turn it On if it's not already enabled.
- Select "Options" and check "Share Files and Folders using SMB (Windows)" and
- Below, check the boxes of any accounts you want to give SMB access to then click Done.
- Windows Sharing should now show as "On" with a green light next to it. Add folders, users and permissions in the boxes below.
You have now enabled Windows Sharing on Mac OS X for the specific accounts you enabled in the Sharing panel. If you want to give public access (i.e. no password required) to shares you need to enable "Allow guests to connect to shared folders" for the Guest account in System Preferences under Accounts. Now you can configure this share by adding a media source in the XBMC GUI.
2 If SMB in Mac OS X stops working
Every so often an update for Mac OS X comes out that seems to break the built-in SMB sharing in OS X. If this ever happens you can probably just use SMBUp to install an alternative SMB server inside of OS X, which will definitely work with XBMC.