|Live TV and PVR Setup Guide:|
|PVR||Recording software||MythTV PVR|
MythTV is a open source software PVR project that is designed to run on Linux, although other operating system packages are available. With MythTV you can watch Live TV, schedule recordings, view episode guide information, and many other features you expect from a DVR type appliance device. But more interesting for XBMC/Kodi users is that as MythTV uses a distributed application structure it can also be configured as PVR backend (PVR server) for XBMC/Kodi, supporting multiple XBMC/Kodi frontends as clients, with MythTV acting as the PVR backend that does work of tuning TV signals, recording, scheduling, and post processing jobs.
By levering existing third-party PVR backend applications such as MythTV that specialize in receiving television signals and support a client–server model which XBMC/Kodi can access via a PVR client addon, these PVR features allows you to watch Live TV, listen to radio, view a EPG TV-Guide, schedule recordings and enables many other TV related features, all using XBMC/Kodi as your primary interface once the initial pairing connection to MythTV have been done and configuration of the PVR client addon for it is complete.
1 Installing MythTV
MythTV can be set up on a variety of Linux distributions and also on Mac OS X. The MythTV Wiki page has several pages of detailed instruction sets for various distros and tuner types.
The released PVR client addon for XBMC/Kodi have been tested with MythTV PVR backend (server) version 0.27 - 0.28.
2 MythTV quick start guide
This page or section is incomplete. Please add information or correct uncertain data which is marked with a ?
If your tuner hardware is not detected or is having issues, check http://linuxtv.org for driver support.
3 Connecting XBMC to MythTV
- Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients and select the MythTV add-on
- Select "Configure"
4 MythTV addon designed for Kodi (pvr.mythtv)
The addon supports MythTV Backend version 0.27 - 0.28. It inter-operates with new API provided by MythTV backend since 0.27. To use it first you have to enable the API services of your backend by running mythtv-setup and set the security pin as "0000". Addon provides Live TV, recording playback and schedules services. It includes its internal demuxer for mpeg-ts standard and allows access of sources and storages of all MythTV infrastructure including master and its slave backends.
5.2 Recording template
Configuration of the default rules for new recordings. Recording rule templates have been introduced in MythTV 0.26. For older MythTV versions, please use and configure the addon-Internal template provider.
|Next step:||Configuring XBMC|
- If you're experiencing troubles with the addon, MythTV section of XBMC Forum is the correct place to ask for help.
- Always include a full debug log with the addon setting Include more debug information in the log file enabled. (also please make yourself familiar with XBMC troubleshooting)
- Issues that are only related to this addon (not to XBMC itself or XBMC's general PVR code) should be reported here: https://github.com/janbar/xbmc-pvr-addons/issues (if unsure, ask in the forum first!)
- See Build addon from source to learn how to build addon from the official or from the development repository
- This addon uses the Transifex Localization platform. You're welcome to contribute translations: https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/XBMC-Main-Helix/resource/pvr-mythtv/
- MythTV website - http://mythtv.org
- MythTV backend for XBMC support forum - http://forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=170
- Addon's issue tracker: https://github.com/janbar/xbmc-pvr-addons/issues
- MythTV genre colours in XBMC EPG: PVR/Backend/MythTV/DVB-EIT-categories
- MythTV + HDHomeRun Prime: http://gameroomsolutions.com/live-tv-setup/