|Live TV and PVR Setup Guide:|
|PVR||Recording software||Tvheadend PVR|
Tvheadend is a open source TV streaming PVR backend (server) software application for Linux supporting DVB-S(2), DVB-C(2), DVB-T(2), ATSC, IPTV (UDP/HTTP), and Analog video (V4L) as input sources, and it can be used as a PVR backend of Kodi. Version 3.4 and layer of Tvheadend also include support for timeshifting (pausing of Live TV).
By levering existing third-party PVR backend applications such as Tvheadend that specialize in receiving television signals and support a client–server model which Kodi can access via a PVR client addon, these PVR features allows you to watch Live TV, listen to radio, view a EPG TV-Guide, schedule recordings and enables many other TV related features, all using Kodi as your primary interface once the initial pairing connection to Tvheadend have been done and and configuration of the PVR client addon for it is complete.
1 Preinstalled options
The following Kodi/OS distributions come with Tvheadend already installed, or easily installed as an option. These are great one-stop solutions that can greatly simplify the installation of the backend, as well as various other benefits unique to those distros.
- OpenELEC - In addition to coming with Tvheadend software and a Tvheadend Kodi PVR add-on, OpenELEC has both current Kodi v12 builds (with native PVR support) as well as special Kodi v11 PVR builds.
2 Installing Tvheadend
- Most Debian and Ubuntu installations can take advantage of the standard APT installation methods for getting Tvheadend installed, either using a GUI package manager, or from the command line using "
apt-get install tvheadend". The install procedure normally creates a user named "hts", which is the user Tvheadend will run as. You should check that the "hts" user has sufficient permissions to your tuner (usually /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0). Running the command "
sudo adduser hts video" should be sufficient.
- For more info, see: https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/Download
- Raspberry Pi
- The easiest way to get Tvheadend on the Raspberry Pi is to use OpenELEC or Raspbmc. You can also use the Arch Linux ARM instructions below if you are using Arch Linux ARM on the R-Pi.
- Arch Linux
- See: HOW-TO:Install Tvheadend on Arch Linux
- Synology NAS
- You can install Tvheadend from the Syno Community repo through the DiskStation Manager: http://www.synocommunity.com/repository
3 Tvheadend quick start guide
|This section is probably outdated.|
|1.||Make sure Tvheadend is up and running (see here for details: https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/Install_and_initial_setup )|
|2.||All configuration is done in a web browser. If you are on the same machine that Tvheadend is installed then point your browser to http://localhost:9981 . If you are on a different machine than Tvheadend, then point your browser to http://IP.ADDRESS.GOES.HERE:9981 , where IP.ADDRESS.GOES.HERE = the IP address of the machine that Tvheadend is installed on. For example: http://192.168.0.3:9981|
If your tuner hardware is not detected or is having issues, check http://linuxtv.org for driver support.
|6.|| http://linuxtv.org for driver support).
It might be possible that the firmware can't be found. Check
[ 3931.964710] xc5000: waiting for firmware upload (dvb-fe-xc5000c-18.104.22.168.fw)... [ 3931.970217] xc5000: Upload failed. (file not found?)
In this case, the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-950Q tuner can't locate the firmware. You should download the desired firmware (the 950Q firmware can be found at http://www.kernellabs.com/firmware/xc5000/) and place in the correct directory (for Ubuntu this is
[ 4791.147048] xc5000: firmware read 16497 bytes. [ 4791.147049] xc5000: firmware uploading... [ 4794.976020] xc5000: firmware upload complete...
|7.||#Connecting Kodi to Tvheadend".|
4 Connecting Kodi to Tvheadend
- Go to Settings -> Add-ons -> Enabled add-ons -> PVR Clients and select the Tvheadend add-on
- Select "Configure"
- By default, you should only need to fill in Tvheadend hostname or IP address.
|Next step:||Configuring Kodi|
- Tvheadend website - https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend
- Tvheadend backend for Kodi support forum - http://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=168
- Using HDHomeRun products with Tvheadend - https://tvheadend.org/boards/14/topics/3368
- Using VBox TV Gateway products with Tvheadend - http://kodi.wiki/view/VBox_Home_TV_Gateway#Tvheadend
- Helper scripts for importing channels of Austrian IPTV A1 TV into Tvheadend - https://github.com/Bronkoknorb/a1tv-helpers