Kodi v17 (Krypton) FAQ
From Official Kodi Wiki
Frequently Asked Questions for upgrading to Kodi v17 (codename Krypton) from a previous version. Includes how to enable some of the new features, where some controls got moved to, etc.
|Kodi v17 (Krypton) FAQ|
1 General FAQ
- See also: All platforms FAQ for an FAQ that applies to all versions of Kodi.
1.1 What is Kodi? What is Krypton?
- Kodi is the new name for XBMC media center. "Krypton" something will be the codename for version 17, just as "Jarvis" was the codename for Kodi v16 and "Isengard was the codename for Kodi v15". You will often see "v17" and "Krypton" used interchangeably in the community.
- See: Kodi v17 (Krypton) changelog. Add-on developers should also see Krypton API changes, and skinners should also read the respective sticky posts in the Skin Development Forum for full changelog on changes to the skinning engine.
1.3 What are some of the noticeable new features?
- In addition to many "under the hood" improvements, some of the visible additions to v17 will include:
1.4 Major addition summary 1
1.5 Major addition summary 2
2 New system requirements
2.1 Android 5
- Kodi v17 now requires that Android devices run Android 5.0 or later.
- If you autoupdate using Google Play, Google won't update unless Android 5 or higher is installed.
2.2 Specific system requirement example goes here
|If you are upgrading from XBMC v13 to Kodi v17 then please read Migration from XBMC to Kodi first.|
|Always backup your settings before upgrading, just incase!|
3.1 How do I upgrade from v16 to v17?
- ANDROID USERS: Don't uninstall an earlier version of Kodi/XBMC before installing the new version. Uninstalling first would remove all of your settings. Just install the new version and it will replace the older version and retain your settings.
- In most cases you can just install Kodi v17 over Kodi v16. All your settings and library are saved and will continue to work in the new version. See Installing for specific install instructions.
- Most basic (video, audio, etc) add-ons that worked in Kodi v16 should still work in v17.
- If you have any issues (settings not being copied over, blank screens, etc) when updating from versions older than v14: remove the new version, install the older version of Kodi/XBMC from http://mirrors.kodi.tv/releases/ , and then upgrade to the next version. In other words, if you have v14, first install v15 and run Kodi, Quit Kodi and then install v16 and run Kodi. Quit Kodi again and install v17, then run Kodi.
- As long as your MySQL server is set up to allow XBMC/Kodi to make new databases for the upgrade itself (see MySQL/Upgrading) then you don't need to do anything for upgrading a MySQL set up for Kodi. Even if you use "XBMC" in your advancedsettings.xml file, you can leave this the same and everything will still work.
4 Where did it this or that go?
4.1 advancedsettings.xml changes
- <useddsfanart> - removed in v17 Krypton.
- <cachemembuffersize> and <readbufferfactor> - In v17
<cachemembuffersize>is renamed to
<readbufferfactor>is renamed to
<readfactor>. In addition, all three buffer related settings in <network> are moved out of <network> and into a new <cache> parent tag.
- <minvideocachelevel>, <minaudiocachelevel>, and <cacheindvdplayer> have been removed in v17.
- <useffmpegvda> - Tag was only used for development testing. Removed in v17.
- Kodi's settings have gone under a major revamp. The location of new settings will be detailed on the Settings page in the near future.
4.3 CodecInfo playback information
- The codecinfo window/overlay normally contains information about the currently playing media, such as video and audio codecs, frame skips, decoding method, etc. Starting in Kodi v17 most of this information has been moved to a new window called
Default keymaps will be adjusted to use this new window (i.e., the "o" key will automatically use the new window). Custom keymaps should change
4.4 Add-on manager
- On the default skin, the add-on manager used to be located in the main settings window. Now only settings related to add-ons are shown there, under .
- The add-on manager itself is now located under
4.5 Disable joystick input
- The setting to disable joystick/gamepad input has been removed. To disable joystick input you only need to disable the new joystick add-on in
4.6 Enable live TV
- The live TV features of Kodi no longer require a specific setting to be enabled or disabled. Instead, this is now triggered based on whether or not there is at least one PVR add-on that has been enabled and correctly configured.
4.7 Setting that moved
4.8 Feature that moved
5.1 What are some of the known issues in v17?
5.2 Where can I get more help?
- The general and platform specific FAQs, the Kodi support forums: http://forum.kodi.tv, and/or the #kodi IRC chat channel on irc.freenode.org.
5.3 EXAMPLE PLATFORM: Example issue 1