Revision as of 02:27, 25 January 2012 by Ned Scott
Main page for XBMC Wiki help. This is for help with editing the XBMC Wiki. For help with XBMC Media Center, please see XBMC Online Manual.
1 Where we need help
everywhere, but here's an easy list:
- All of the FAQs, see Category:FAQ
- An upgrading to v11 (Eden) FAQ for changes, what to expect, where to find things that moved, the file/library mode thing, etc. See Upgrading to XBMC v11 for a pre-created page.
- Improve Quick Start Guide
- Update screen shots on various pages (click on an image and then click on "upload new version")
- Wiki How-tos for:
- Bluray stuff
- 3D stuff
- Screen shots uploaded for all skins in Category:Skins
- Any other kind of manual/help info specific to skins
- Expanding Add-on pages. Great for Add-on developers and users alike. See Category:All add-ons. Examples of good add-on pages include: Add-on:YouTube, Add-on:BlipTV, Add-on:iPlayer, Add-on:PleXBMC, Add-on:Parsedom for xbmc plugins, Add-on:Common plugin cache. Subpages (if needed) can be made with a slash (/) in the name.
- Pages/writeups for:
- The official Android remote app
- A list of iOS remote apps
- Spel cheking (everywhere)
- Cleaning up the MySQL FAQ: HOW-TO:Synchronize multiple XBMC libraries
- Explain how to convert an existing library with local shares to network shares for MySQL: HOW-TO:Synchronize multiple XBMC libraries/conversion guide
- Useful keymaps. See Category:Custom keymaps
- Spam/vandalism patrolling of Special:RecentChanges. See spam? Remove it! You can use the Undo feature or find a spam-free version in the "View history" tab (click on a past version, then click on Edit, then save, to restore an older version of a page).
- Pages needing updating/cleaning up: Category:Cleanup
- Pages needing expanding: Category:Incomplete
- XBMC Wiki help pages (including this very page). Need expanding, how-to's, etc, on how to edit and use the XBMC Wiki.
- Category:Templates formatting and message templates that you can use on pages for various things.
- Go to the top of any page and click on "My preferences -> Gadgets" and check out some of the additional editing tools there, especially the wikEd option
3 Types of pages
- General topics (main namespace)- Anything that is a general overview of a topic. This can be main manual pages, a page for a remote control, a page for a specific hardware part, a supplemental tool/program, or just about anything XBMC related.
- XBMC Manual- Core XBMC manual/help pages. Can be in several namespaces. See Category:XBMC Manual
- FAQs- Question/common topic and answers. See Category:FAQ and Template:FAQ
- HOW-TO:- How-to's some manual pages will simply be both general pages and a how-to page, or be paired with a how-to page. Pages in the HOW-TO: namespace should be just just for step-by-step how to's. For how-to's within a general topic page, just use the main namespace. Some how-to's are apart of the main manual, and others are more specific. We welcome any how-to's that people feel would be useful. See Category:How-to.
- Add-ons:- Add-ons, skins, etc. Great for Add-on developers and users alike. See Category:All add-ons. Examples of good add-on pages include: Add-on:YouTube, Add-on:BlipTV, Add-on:iPlayer, Add-on:PleXBMC, Add-on:Common plugin cache. Subpages (if needed) can be made with a slash (/) in the name.
- Development- Pages for developers or really advanced topics. Includes Skin and Add-on development. Can be in several namespaces. See Category:Development
- User:- Username space for user pages. All editors get their own User page and can make additional subpages by adding a slash (/). Great for putting down notes on what you are working on for the XBMC Wiki, or you can even use your userpage to document your own XBMC set ups.