FLIRC is a small universal infrared-receiver USB-dongle that plugs into your computer or media player and pairs with your same television remote, or any remote that you want to use. FLIRC support all common platforms / operating systems and allows you to use any IR remote control you own to control almost any media player. The best part about FLIRC is that it mimics a keyboard so every media player application including Kodi understands it without needing to install any device drivers.
FLIRC is quite elegant in its simplicity. FLIRC is a USB adapter device that adds IR remote support and functionality to the Fire TV. You plug it into the USB port of a PC or Mac and use its simple configuration interface to set it up. You then point any remote you have at the FLIRC, and teach it what actions to perform when a particular remote button is pressed. Then just plug FLIRC into your HTPC or media appliance USB port, and your IR remote will be able to control Kodi on your device. FLIRC is compatible with USB hubs, so you will still be able to use external storage, keyboards, mice, and other USB devices while the FLIRC is connected.
FLIRC started out as a small project run by Jason Kotzin with a portion of each sale going to a cancer charity
2 User reviews
- For a review please see the Kodi front page article: http://xbmc.org/natethomas/2012/04/15/flirc-a-new-old-way-to-control-xbmc/
- Review - 'FLIRC - the Ultimate Kodi Controller' http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2013/02/flirc/
- The Power Base review: http://www.thepowerbase.com/2012/05/control-your-world-flirc-review/
- Brief endorsement on the unofficial Kodi blog by NateThomas: http://xbmc.us/njbetzen/2012/06/14/a-brief-introduction-to-xbmc-us/
- How To - Raspberry Pi Media Centre with FLIRC Remote Set Up https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-to-raspberry-pi-media-centre-with-flirc-remote-set-up
- Please visit the flirc forums (http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/forum/48-getting-started-with-flirc/) for help getting started with flirc. Please feel free to ask questions in the forum (http://forum.flirc.tv)
4 External Links
- Flirc can be purchased in the U.S.A through http://www.flirc.tv
- For a list of Flirc recommended distributors please see: http://www.flirc.tv/distributors/
- For all UK/EU residents, Flirc is now available via http://www.mannmediacentres.co.uk/
- Flirc is now available for global shipping through ModMyPi at https://www.modmypi.com/shop/flirc
- Flirc is now also available in the UK via eBay and www.flirc.co.uk